20/07/2010

SELF-AWARENESS

The purpose of life.


We all know that moment of bliss, where our ego melts away and all that is left is a feeling of absolute unity, complete perfection, perfect love. We all know it, because it's in all of us - it's our nature; our essence.
The real question is - how to expand that moment until it becomes our primary experience, rather than just a fleeting, occasional glimpse...?





The truth is, we have been educated NOT to experience it fully. Our society is focused on only one aspect of human 'beingness ': the rational, masculine, aspect. We need to re-acquaint ourselves with the feminine, intuitive aspect.
It's as Einstein said:
"The rational mind is a faithful servant. The intuitive mind is a sacred gift. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."


So the answer to the above question is: we have to re-educate ourselves.
It takes training, discipline, and perseverance.
That's the bad news.
The good news is that when we begin that work, when we step onto that path, and start to re-shape ourselves back into the 'image of God' - the divine essence of who we really are... then we are already walking our life path. Fulfilling our purpose here in life and on earth.
That's what we are here for - to know ourselves better; to become self-aware.


Our focus then turns to the question: 'Who Am I?'


And as the answer to that question unfolds, life becomes ever more joyful...




Please, leave a comment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky for us, we're living in the age of Kali Yuga, where even the smallest amount of dedication to practice will yield some results. The mistake many people make (and I've done this myself) is to think that that small result is enough, when it's only the beginning.

The thing I've learned to be important is to never imagine I've reached the end of the road with spiritual practice! In most cases, it will simply be another phase of the journey back to ourselves as fully aware human beings!

Unknown said...

Hello Svasti,
Yes, I understand what you mean about imagining the end of the road... There are indeed many phases... I think that the real accomplishment is 'knowing I know nothing', and holding on to that child-like awe and wonder that doesn't WANT to reach the end, because the journey itself is so beautiful.
Thank you for reading and commenting,
with love,
Ben

timethief said...

Namaste Ben,
After 25 years of practice I appreciate the veracity of these Socrates quotes more deeply every day:
“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
“I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.”

I currently have visitors with young children (3 and 5 years old). Their parents are dear friends who we have not seen for years, and I am uplifted by the joy and delight expressed by their children as they explore my property and the island I live on. They live in a totally different environment so every tree, leaf, flower, insect and bird is a wonderment to them. They have been raised to be sensitive to nature and I'm so happy to see what wonderful parents my friends have become.

I feel as if I have received a precious gift -- a joy transfusion and I'm so grateful they chose to come and share their vacation with us.

I always look forward to Satsang and it's always special but having the little ones join us in sacred space will make this devotional gathering even more special.

Love and peace with with you always,
TiTi

Unknown said...

Hey Titi,

How wonderful that we can connect through the internet like this!
I was indirectly uplifted too when I read about your little guests, and their joyful delight :)
I am expecting a 'precious gift' of my own in 3 months time, and can't wait!
I find that children are the best way of really understanding that our knowledge is so limited - or 'knowing I know nothing"!

Great to hear from you... with love,
Ben

Rich said...

I totally agree, but I'd like to add that the forces of society and government are against us! They want to keep us unaware. The grand irony is, I'm not so sure they're even aware that they want to keep us unaware. We've created this vast, perpetual motion machine that generates ignorance.

Unknown said...

Hi Rich, I'm glad you added the last two sentences to your comment - I think that's exactly right.
So many people go on and on about conspiracy theories and elite groups of people who are planning to overthrow the world... I think we are doing it all by ourselves! As you say, our own creation.
Thank you for reading and contributing!
Ben

Post a Comment